23 November 2012

Anselm Kiefer at White Cube

This exhibition took place in April 2011 (see images on the White Cube website). Around the room, 24 large works in marvellous lead frames - Des Meeres und der Liebe Wellen - and five "floor based" works, large open books in table-vitrines.
(click to enlarge)
I was intrigued by the "surgical instruments" that were part of the large paintings, distorted and rusted - unhygenic! - strangely anthropomorphic -

 "Few contemporary artists match Kiefer's epic reach, and his work consistently balances powerful imagery with acute critical analysis" says artlyst's short intro to the exhibition.

1 comment:

Judy Martin said...

Anselm Keifer's work is very inspirational to me.
I love his use of lead as a metaphor for human mortality.
How lead was used by alchemists, transformed to gold.
How body transforms to spirit.

I'm sure I read a statement by him about this - but maybe it's just my idea of how he thinks. Either way, I love his work and thank you for reminding me about that.